MUSEUMS AND SAINT-GERMAIN
Go through the passage underneath the Château Saint-Germain to reach the former upper town, which was more densely built in the past. The town's authorities were centred there. It was the stronghold of the Saint-Germains, a ministerial family resident in Gruyères from 1351 to 1578. Today it houses the Hans Ruedi Giger Museum. This extensive medieval building from the late 13th–14th century was refurbished in 1607.