Belluard entrance

This was the main entrance point of the town in the Middle Ages. It dates back to around 1475, with access through the Epagny (east) and Pringy (west) doors on opposing sides, flanked by watchtowers (small corbelled rooms which would have been occupied by a watchman). Above the entrance to the town is a shield with the coat of arms of the Counts of Gruyère, painted in around 1860, framed on either side by two warriors symbolising Claremboz and Bras-de-Fer, heroes of the 1349 War of Everdes between the Bear (the symbol of Bern) and the Crane of Gruyère who held up the Bernese in the forest of Sauthaux while waiting for the troops of Count Peter IV to arrive.